Flax Fried Rice
Excellent as a light meal or a side dish… and kids like it!
|250 ml||long grain rice||1 cup|
|500 ml||water||2 cups|
|2 ml||salt||½ tsp|
|25 ml||canola oil||2 tbsp|
|3||eggs, beaten well||3|
|125 ml||diced cooked ham or any meat||½ cup|
|175 ml||frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn), thawed||3/4 cup|
|2||green onions, cut into 6 mm (1/4 inch) lengths||2|
|25 ml||soy sauce||2 tbsp|
|2 ml||sesame oil||½ tsp|
|50 ml||flax seed, toasted*||1/4 cup|
- Rinse rice well in a sieve under cold running water. In a medium saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil, add rice, bring to a boil again, stirring with a fork. Reduce heat, cover, simmer slowly 20 minutes. Remove lid, allow steam to escape. Fluff rice with a fork. Cool, cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- In a large non-stick skillet, over medium heat, heat canola oil.
- Add egg and fry until half cooked.
- Add rice, breaking up any lumps, stirring quickly to coat the rice.
- Reduce heat to medium low; add ham, vegetables and green onions.
- Cook, turning rice mixture gently but frequently, about 4 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, sesame oil and flax seed. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 3 minutes.
*To toast flax seed, spread flax seeds in small metal pan. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir while toasting.
Yield: 6 servings.
Serving Size: 250 mL (1 cup)
Single Serving Nutrient Values
|Protein||10.9 g||Potassium||259 mg|
|Carbohydrate||32.7 g||Folate||44 mg|